Thursday, September 30, 2010

September 30th, 2009 Nepal Journal Entry

09/30/2009 12:17 pm (KTM)

Slept like a baby last night. We left Chhukung at 7:20am this morning, and got into Tengboche at 11:30. Pretty quick! Along the way we met up with a couple I met in Dingboche the other day. She is from Belgium and he is Nepali. On our way out of Chhukung this morning, I heard someone yelling “Mat!” We turned around and it was Harriet. She had climbed Chhukung Ri, and looked for us at Island Peak Base Camp. The only problem was we were two kilometers past normal base camp. We talked for a bit and then parted ways. (I have sooo much admiration for Harriett. She is a very strong woman, who does not take no for an answer, and will do some pretty crazy things to prove women are as capable of doing things as men. I don’t think I would ever have the guts to navigate Chhukung Ri by myself!) We made it to Tengboche so easily that we are going to push on to Namche today. That will get us one day closer to Lukla. Here at Tengboche I met a very nice guy named Neil. He is from Lake Tahoe. He will be trekking through the region for the next four months. I gave him my card and he will email when he gets back.

09/30/2009 7:00pm (KTM)

We arrived in Namche Bazaar at 4:30pm. The first thing I did was go to market and buy some underwear. Funny story… They are Asian sized and I assumed an extra large would fit. HOW WRONG WAS I? I probably should have bought a XXL or XXXL…. These things are tiny. I went back to my room and shaved…. It took three razors, and then I took a super long shower. I organized some things then came to the dinning hall. I am charging my phone right now. I sent some text messages earlier, to let everyone know I was off the mountain, and working my way back to civilization. I am so happy to be in Namche Bazaar, it is the metropolis of the Khumbu region. Prem had me speak to Naba earlier, he wants us to slow down and take our time getting back to Lukla. I wouldn’t mind getting back to Kathmandu a little early. My little toe on my right foot is very sore. I have not mentioned the avalanches. When we were on Kala Pattar the other day there was a large avalanche across the valley on Nuptse. While we were camping at Island Peak Base camp there were several avalanches on Lhotse, as we were in the moraine of Lhotse glacier a few sounded and felt like a giant lightening bolt that might strike close to the house. I think I understand what an earthquake feels like. Have I mentioned my cheeks and nose are toasted? Other than that, and my toe, I feel great. As for what drives people to do these things… I don’t know! Funny thing… As we were trekking down today, everyone going up had this distressed, out of breath, crazed look. I was smiling, greeting, and thinking my work is done here. Every sunrise is one day closer to me being back with my family. As I was sitting here in the dinning hall, a very nice lady introduced herself to me, her name is Nancy and she is from Queensland, New Zealand. She is trekking for the next seven weeks, just she and her porter. She had a guide but she fired him because he did not speak English, and was no benefit.

09/30/2009 8:25pm (KTM)

I have just been speaking with a guy in the dinning hall, his name is Enrico. He is from Italy and is a professional climbing guide in Europe. He has a French client here. His name is Mark, and they are climbing Ama Dablam, they have in-between the 8th and 17th to summit, before their permit runs out. Mark’s wife will be coming to Nepal as soon as Mark gets off the mountain. Enrico will be taking her up Ama Dablam. Enrico will be in Nepal for 3 ½ months taking several clients to several Himalayan peaks. He has a very unique way of looking at mountaineering. “You climb a mountain because it appeals to you, not because you need to bag a 5, 6, 7, or even an 8,000 meter peak. If you like the shape and beauty, if a mountain speaks to you then you should attempt it!” Enrico lives at the foot of Mt Blanc, in Italy. He will email me when he gets back to Italy. I just tried for 40 minutes to upload some pictures to Sherrie. The computer here is slow and would not upload.

No comments:

Post a Comment