Tuesday, September 28, 2010

September 28th, 2009 Nepal Journal Entry

09/28/2009 1:30pm (KTM)

We left Chhukung this morning at 8:00am. It took just over 3 hours to reach base camp. We passed normal base camp by 2 kilometers, to camp at the foot of the trailhead that leads us to Island Peak. I ask Mr. Tenzing about the route…. He said you can divide it into three parts.
1.) The climb out
2.) Crampon point
3.) Glacial wall

Deil carried my gear bag up and helped Temba establish base camp, before heading back down to Chhukung. Temba cooked a very good soup, with noodles and vegetables in it. As we were setting up base camp, the clouds started rolling up the valley, and now it is snowing like crazy. I am ready to get this climb done and start my way back home to my family. I miss my family more than anyone will ever know. I am in a very nice North Face tent. I have my sleeping bag inside Prem’s sleeping bag. We will leave here at 2:00am in the morning. I would love to summit and be back here by 10:00am, then maybe work our way back to Chhukung. Failure is not an option. My goals were EBC and Imja Tse… one down, one to go! I need your prayers.

09/28/2009 5:18pm (KTM)

It quit snowing a little while ago and I got out of my tent and went for a walk. I walked up the trail we take in the morning for about 100 meters. I hope Mr. Tenzing is a patient man. I took about an hour nap, which I wish I had not done. I need to sleep very well tonight. I picked up a few stones earlier. One for Sherrie, Trey, Jordan, and Mom. We are at 17,000 feet right now. 3,305 feet from the summit. Let’s go vertical!
09/28/2009 6:00pm (KTM)

My pen is cold! We just had some mushroom soup and macaroni. We are losing light so a few final thoughts!

Sherrie…. You are my soul mate, my wonder wall. Everything I am, everything I have, is because of you! You are a wonderful wife and mother. I love you like nothing else. I am sorry for the past, and look forward to the future.

Jordan…. I know we don’t always get along, but there has never, ever been one moment of my life where I did not love you with all of my heart. I love you more than there are drops of water in the ocean.

Trey…. You are my best friend and I thank God for you everyday. I can’t wait to see you grow into the strong, sweet man that you will be. I love you more than there are grains of sand on the beach.

Love you all!

MATHEW G. JONES JR.

No comments:

Post a Comment