Sunday, September 19, 2010

September 15th, 2009 Nepal Journal Entry

09/15/2009 10:01pm
Today was awesome. We arrived in Newark at 11:00am local time. We came in to terminal C and I need to get to terminal A to check my big pack for the day. I caught a bus to terminal A and found the luggage storage, then headed outside to catch a cab to Liberty Park. OK… I almost passed out when the cabbie told me it would be $55.00 for the seven mile cab ride. Once at the ferry terminal you have to go through security again, just like the airport, soooo…. I had to get undressed and dressed for the 3rd time today. After passing security you go stand in line for the ferry. I boarded the ferry and went to the top level. The first stop was Ellis Island. There is more history there than you can ingest in an hour and forty minutes. I got back on the ferry and headed to Liberty Island. There is an overwhelming since of pride when you see her. She is much smaller than I had imagined, but still impressive. I walked all the way around the island, took 180 pictures and then headed back to the ferry and it took me back to the terminal.

I got the number for a car service and they picked me up in a Limo, took me back to the airport and only charged me $30.00. So I am back at Liberty International and had to go to baggage to pick up my big pack. Then back through security again (4th time today I had to get dressed). They sent me to a smaller security check point and it went really quickly, as I had already taken everything off and stored it in my pack. Once through security I went to find something to eat. There was a pub, and I ordered Chicken Fingers and an ice tea. The tea was great, but the chicken lacked a little to be desired. As I was wondering around the terminal, I saw a bank of chairs, with an electrical outlet behind them. This was a great opportunity to recharge all of my electronics before the 14 hour and 40 minute flight. I recharged my laptop, phone, camera batteries, and even myself. I fell asleep for a few minutes. About 30 minutes before my flight I found a little shop, bought a latte, and cinnamon stick, and started walking to my gate. Once at the gate we started boarding, and it was a mad house. The attendants started by boarding the back of the plane first, and I was in the second to the last seat. The flight has 252 passengers and only one empty seat which just so happened to be right in between myself and the young man on my isle. After a delay of 30 minutes on the taxiway, due to 25 aircraft lined up in front of us, we were airborn. Not long after we were in the air they served us dinner - chicken and pasta. Then they came by and brought each person a bag of food that included a bean sandwich, granola bar, Kit-Kat, bottle of water, and a cookie. This was your midnight snack. The flight path we were on was nothing like what the airline emailed me. We went North East through Maine, and New Foundland. We are now 6238 miles from Delhi, and at an altitude of 33,000 feet, with an outside air temperature of -50F. We are traveling at 595mph. I have just finished watching Star Trek, and Fight Club is just beginning. You can choose from 100’s of movies, and TV shows. Our new flight path takes us over the tip of Greenland, through Iceland, the heart of Russia, China, Tibet, and into India. The plane is very comfortable, but my butt already hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment