Monday, September 20, 2010

September 20th, 2009 Nepal Journal Entry

09/20/2009 5:57 am (KTM)
Been up for about an hour… Just went outside to brush my teeth. Just ahead the clouds have lifted. I got my first views of Tamserku at 6618 meters.


09/20/2009 7:24 am (KTM)
I was going to keep track of my outfits.
Day 1) Timberline hikers, black socks (day 2), khaki pants, black short sleeve spandex shirt, Journey T-shirt, NAU hat. Day 2) same as above except white long sleeve summit shirt, day three of black socks, and Edmond Santa Fe hat. I have a huge blister on the 2nd toe of my right foot. I put a band-aid on it!




09/20/2009 7:13pm (KTM)

Today was quite a challenge. We went straight uphill for 5 hours. I had milk porridge for breakfast, which is oatmeal cooked in milk. It was very good! We left Benkar at 7:30am and had to stop at several Gurka checkpoints. We also had to stop at the Sargamatha National Park Headquarters, to get our trekking permits. We crossed several suspension bridges, some very, very high. I struggled towards the end. I did not hydrate well today, and it was very hot in the valley! Once we arrived in Namche Bazaar, I took a hot shower, and doctored my foot. I showed Prem my blister and he is very concerned. It is nasty. I went to the dinning hall and had mushroom soup, and fried potatoes for lunch. I went back to my room and laid down for an hour and a half, then downloaded pictures… There is some good stuff on there but nothing spectacular. I came back to the dinning hall and Prem and Deil were having tea. They wanted to see my pictures so I showed them stuff from home. I asked about having laundry done, and Prem told me to have Deil do it. He told me it would be an opportunity for him to earn some extra money, while we are here in Namche. I paid him 300Rs. I went down into the market and looked at some of the shops. I bought a necklace for Jordan. Prem told me I needed to be back by six, because the path back to the hotel was under construction, and it is very dangerous at night. I had milk coffee and spaghetti for dinner…. Carb loading! Tomorrow is a rest day here in Namche to acclimate. Day 3 outfit… Asolo boots, white long socks, green express pants, boxer briefs, house of pain thermal, 805 fleece jacket. I am going to take ½ an Ambien tonight and see if I can get some rest. We are staying at the Himalayan Lodge. We are at 10,900 feet. The dining hall is very nice, they have everything here. There is a Korean team here. Six men in their late 50’s, they brought their own cook, food, guide, assistant guide, and 8 porters. They left Phadking at 7:30 this morning, and did not get to Namche until 5:00 this afternoon. Nice and easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment