Saturday, September 25, 2010

September 24th, 2009 Nepal Journal Entry

09/24/2009 5:47pm (KTM)

We arrived in Loubuche today at noon. The climb from Pheriche was quite a _________! We left at 7:50am this morning and the first ½ of the trek was gradual, but the second half was straight uphill. We stopped at the small village of Dughla for tea, and the climb started right there. As we topped out at the ridge above Dughla, there were 100’s of chorten. I told Prem I wanted to walk around and take some pictures. As I was walking towards one of the bigger chorten, I noticed it was Scott Fischer’s. I got kind of emotional, as I know the history, related to his and Rob Hall’s passing on Everest in the disaster of 1996. We never found Rob’s chorten, but I will ask at Gorek Shep. We came on in Loubuche and had lunch. Mushroom soup, then I took a shower. Let me tell you about that… Basically they heat up a bucket of water and put it in a room with a hole in the floor. You pour the hot (Luke warm) water over you, soap and rinse, and the drain did not work. It was a challenge to get my underwear on before getting them soaked, so I ran back to my room in my undies. Prem warned me I would get cold! Guess what? I got chilled to the bone, so I dressed and climbed into bed. I got up at 5:00 and came to the dining hall for coffee. Earlier at lunch I met a team from Israel. One guy and two girls, and one of the girls was feeling ill. No headache but her chest hurt, we found a thermometer, and took her temperature, it was normal but she was weak. They wanted to get to Gorek Shep, so they rented a pony here in Loubuche. I was sitting outside earlier and it was sleeting, so I came back in. We started the day socked in with clouds, in the middle of the day we had some clearing. I got a couple of great pictures of Ama Dablam. Prem loves to take pictures, so every few minutes he say’s “Let me have camera sir” He does not understand zoom or focus, but every once in a while they come out good. I wore the same thing today that I wore yesterday, except I started out with my North Face jacket on. We stopped a kilometer outside of Pheriche and I had to take it off. I also started with my Thunder Beanie on and my buff around my neck. I took the hat off, and pulled the buff up over my head. I also wore Spandex pants under my cargos. We met Giles about two Kilometers outside of Loubuche, we have been hanging around the dining hall. There is a very cool woman from New Zealand, who is teaching at Kumjung. She is in Nepal for four and a half months. She is trekking in the Khumbu for the next three weeks. School is out for potato harvest and festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment