Sunday, October 17, 2010

Saturday, October 16th, 2010








Namaste,

So when I left off yesterdays blog..... It was 11:00pm. I made Sherrie come home because, I needed her back at 6:00am. My sister was going to sit at the table until then. I might mention that I have a pinched nerve in my back, and it was really barking at me before I even started. I decided to give my back a break, I would ride the second lap. My original plan was to walk throughout the night, but there were several people riding on the trail and about 1/3 of it is lit! I took off an my bike with my climbing headlamp on, and made that loop in under an hour. When I got back to the table, Bryan and Sondra Goodpasture were there. They are my next door neighbors, and Bryan goes to school with Jordan. It was midnight, and Bryan wanted to ride so we took off on the bikes. My nephew Rodger showed up and rode with us. Chad, Shannon, Gannan, and Nathan Lovett came out in the middle of the night and walked for two hours. We ended up making two laps and at 2:00am, I was by myself for the first time! I decided to walk the next lap so I took off and headed north. This was opposite from where we had been going, but most of the trail traffic was heading that way. It took me three hours to make that loop. When I got back, there was some fresh Starbucks brewing and it really hit the spot! I had just completed 50 miles, and had 15 hours to go! Ricardo showed up at 5:00am and we rode three laps together, then my buddy Chris Easton showed up and we rode three laps together. A friend from high school sent his brother out to ride with me a couple of laps, Ed Krepps from work came out and rode a couple of laps, Cindy Enix, my co-worker came out and walked a lap, Ricardo came back out in the early afternoon and rode some more, my little nephew Brent came out and rode a lap, a guy named Jerry, who works with my buddy Tyler Griffin came out on his recumbent bike and rode 100 miles. The list goes on, and on, and on! At one time around noon, I was feeling it and when I got back to the table I started getting sick! Thank God I had a nurse and respiratory therapist/Massage therapist there! They got me re hydrated and massaged out! Thanks Sharon, and Paula. I hit the trail again, and at 4:00pm I knew I had time for one walking lap and one riding lap. My back was cramping so I decided to ride along side Sherrie as she was walking the trail, I would ride ahead and then come back to her essentially riding three laps at one time. At the 1/2 way point on that lap..... I was really having a hard time keeping my eyes open, and I was a good mile ahead of Sherrie and I fell asleep on my bike. I was probably going about 10mph. I woke up when I smashed my knee on the sidewalk! OMG!!!!! I was rolling on the ground, when a couple that was riding by stopped and told me to lay still! I couldn't! I got up and could bend my knee even though it was bleeding like crazy! Sherrie caught up to me and wanted me to call it and have someone come get me, but that would have defeated the purpose! I got back on my bike and finished the lap. When we got back I headed North so I would turn around after 30 minutes and come across the finish line at 8:00pm. I met my Lady Stallion cheerleaders about 1000 yards from the finish line and they walked in with me! I was elated to come across the line and have so many friends,and family members there. I was hugging people and kissing baby's, and the whole team really jumped in and broke everything down. Febe brought the truck and trailer home, and Sherrie, Ben Anderson, Paula Jennings, Julie Schwartz, Dustin Forgue, and their kids went inside for a quick bite. When I got home I got straight in the shower, and brushed my teeth. I do not remember laying down.... What an experience! I covered 170 miles in 24 hours, Sherrie did 30 miles, Jerry did 100 miles, Ricardo did 40 miles, Chris Easton did 30 miles, Ed Krepps did 40 miles. I can't remember everyone right now, but we logged some miles for sure. I will continue to tell stories from this Quest for weeks! I have no idea how much money we raised??? I will get a number over the next two weeks! Pledges will continue to come in for a couple of weeks! There are soooo many people to thank! I don't know where to start! I will list them in the next blog.... A couple pictures from the Quest!



All my love!



Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment