Tuesday, October 5, 2010

October, 5th, 2010 Nepal Journal Entry


10/05/2009 7:30 am (KTM)

“I AM GOING HOME!”

Woke up at 6:30 and went to breakfast, I had 3 cups of coffee before going through the buffet line. I had a danish, 2 small bananas, and some cereal. After breakfast I went back to my room and took a long hot shower, got dressed then packed for the journey home. I went to the lobby at 9:45, and Naba was there. We talked and he re-assured me that he would come get me and take me to the airport at noon. I had Naba sign my banner and we took a few pictures together. I went for a walk just around the area right by the hotel. I took some video of the traffic with my cell phone. It was just crazy. I headed back to the Shanker and gathered my things.

10/05/2009 12:38pm (KTM)

Naba just dropped me off at the airport. This place is a zoo! I have to wait 30 minutes to check my bags, then a 3 hour wait at my gate. I CAN’T WAIT TO GET IN THE AIR!

10/05/2009 2:35pm (KTM)

There is no chance in hell I am getting home with my bags, unless there is a huge accident. I am curious how much money we spend in the US on the TSA, because it does not translate globally. I think right now I would feel more comfortable riding a scud missile through the heart of Israel, than boarding a plane in Kathmandu. The airport is just like the movie Golden Child! The airport has not been cleaned since the 30’s, and it smells like curry! I AM READY TO GET IN THE AIR!

10/05/2009 5:13pm (KTM)

Just now boarding the plane at KTM, heading for Delhi! The departure fiasco started with the computer system being down in the airport. We had to do everything manually, and since I had changed my flight Indian Air had no record of me being on their flight. Luckily I was first in line at the ticket window, and the passengers behind me were getting restless, so they ushered me through. After all of that with the computers being down it delayed our flight for an hour and a half. The holding area for our flight was nasty, and smelled like yak butt! I am very hungry right now, but there are no stores or anything here at the airport once you clear security. I have not really written much about what this trip means to me personally. I need to tell people how much they mean to me. … I don’t tell my mother how important she is, and how much she is appreciated. It may be because we work so closely, but I have missed her. My brother… I know he is busy, but we need to make time to do things together, while we can. As a matter of fact… We need to take our boy’s camping together, and roast hot dogs, and marshmallows! (We actually did this 11/08/2009, and had a blast!) My Sister… I know she loves me and my family! She supported me on this trip, and that means a lot! My friends… Too many to mention, but you all know who you are! My boy’s at 805 who got me ready for the physical aspect of this trip, as well as, financially supported me. My whole team of sponsors, my family in Tennessee…etc… Everyone I met on this amazing journey that impacted my life, and will continue to do so as I tell this story! Naba, Prem, Deil, Tenzing, Temba, Harriett, Giles, Cheeky, Wolf, Wolf, Felix, Enrico, Mark, Anu, Coco, Nancy, and soooo many others. We all had so much in common, Love of the environment, a serious challenge, being outdoors in nature, being at peace with the earth and all of God’s creation. Accepting other people, and their way of life without regard to their nationality, color, creed, religion, of any of the pettiness that we live in. It doesn’t matter who you are, how much wealth you accumulate, what kind of car you have, or how big your house is…. We are all part of the human experience. We need to find a way to love, and not hate, to give with our hearts, and not expect anything in return, to educate those on what we have learned, and most importantly to accept everyone without exception! I know it may sound stupid but…. I have been very emotional all day. Knowing this chapter of my life, the fundraising, organization, preparation, preparing equipment, physical training, and mental training, is done. To complete this journey all I have to do is navigate from KTM to Delhi, Delhi to Newark, Newark to Houston, and Houston to OKC! Back into the arms of my family and friends!
Mat Jones 10/05/2009 5:40pm (KTM)


10/05/2009 10:37pm (KTM)

We cruised at an altitude of 36,000 feet, and the outside temperature was -41 degree’s. The flight was pretty nice. The food was Indian, but hell, we are in India! Pray my luggage gets transferred correctly!

10/05/2009 10:37pm (Delhi)

Believe it or not we are being pushed back from the DEL airport right now. We were quarantined in the transfer area again when we got off the bus at the terminal. They took our flight information and baggage claim tickets, and they went and got our bags. Then they bring you your boarding pass two hours before your departure. You then go through security, and inside the terminal, are shops, and food vendors. I walked around the duty free shops, and everything there is in bulk. 10 pound bags of candy and giant bottles of liquor! All I wanted was a small snack. I went to Subway and got ½ a sub, with turkey, and cheese. I am in row 18, and there is no one in the two seats next to me so I will be able to spread out and sleep. How cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment