Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Wednesday, July 7th, 2010




Namaste,




Today was inventory day, so I went to work really early.... But not until after my stop at Starbucks. Inventory went smooth, but put us a couple of hours behind. I ran to the bank at lunch for the second day in a row. It is the first of the month, and people are paying their dues at the gym. The afternoon was kinda slow, but I kept busy.... After work I mowed my lawn... Sherrie was complaining that it didn't need to be done, but I filled an entire trash bin with clippings. Sherrie cooked an amazing dinner of Parmesan chicken and sweet potatoes. She went to visit her grandmother at the hospital, and I started packing my gear for Tennessee. Funny thing. I will only be gone for 36 hours, but I packed enough clothes for a week. I am taking my big pack, and my little pack. I am 36 hours from leaving, but I am already, ready to be home! I finished my book I have been reading for a couple of weeks. Dead Lucky, Life after death on Everest, by Lincoln Hall. Lincoln was left for dead at 28,000 feet on Mt Everest. He had cerebral edema, and dehydration.His family was notified of his death, and three days later they found out that he was alive, and only suffered frostbite on eight fingers, and lost one and a half toe's. Lincoln spent the night at 28,000 feet, without oxygen, without shelter, and without much other than hope, and faith! He was assisted down by three climbers who gave up their summit attempt 1,035 feet short of the summit, to save another mans life. That is sacrifice. There was another climber 10 days earlier who was in trouble and 40 climbers passed him on their way to the summit. He died alone at 27,000 feet! He will be there for eternity, frozen in time. There is a story of an Indian climber who crawled up under a rock cliff at 26,500 feet 15 years ago. He died there and is now a landmark on the North side of the mountain. They call him Green boots, because that is all that is sticking out from under the rocks. The picture is Nuptse, and the Lhotse Glacier. I am infatuated with the Himalaya's! It's like they are calling me. It is where I need to be to find peace!




Love you all!


Mat

No comments:

Post a Comment